Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bust a Myth: All reproductive endocrinologists are the same.


It had been almost six months since I had been to Dr. W's office. Our last visit he released me into the hands of my OB thinking that this baby would be our take home baby. He was wrong.  Our loss happened about a month after my last visit with him when we saw the tiny heartbeat on the ultrasound screen.

All the numbers looked good, the baby looked good, everything was going according to plan. After my miscarriage my husband and I took a break from trying. We were exhausted emotionally and physically, we just needed some time.

So there I sat waiting in his office yet again for another ultrasound. This time to check follicles so we could do another cycle.

He walked in with tears in his eyes and the softest voice and said "I'm so sorry."

Three words that meant SO much to me.

No one was saying anything and if they did it was the same thing over and over. There would be other babies, you are young, you have plenty of time. His tears were a balm to my aching heart and his words a reminder that someone got it. Someone understood.

Someone saw my baby and valued the few weeks of life we shared. A Doctor. A Specialty doctor. A far cry from the OB that called my baby an embryo and left me feeling cold and bitter. There were no overused sentiments. He truly understood.

He will always hold a special place in my heart. For a Doctor to show emotion was a first for me. Usually the doctors I've come across have been cold and crass. Not this man. He is proof that not all doctors are unfeeling and unsympathetic. He valued me and more importantly he valued the life I carried even if I only carried the life for a few weeks.

Infertility 101

April 24-30th Is National Infertility Awareness Week if you would like more information please click here